Friday 22 February 2013

Triceratops by Marcus Gorman

Book review: Triceratops by Marcus Gorman

This one concerns rampaging, wild musicians in New York but on different planet to the rest of us.  Death isn’t really what I look for in my favourite novels so I was disappointed to read of Xavier’s suicide so early in the novel. The characters are pretty crazy but I did like some of them.

I usually find characters that think about sex within a novel to be in bad taste but the female character’s feelings in particular read real to me. This is a little surprising given the male writer but who cares? It is the carefree attitude to sex that gave me that essential escape that is required from any novel. It is unusual to read about thoughts like this without it coming across as crude and distasteful but well done for managing this.

Overall the story was a bit lengthy but the (slightly too many) characters came together well. There are numerous colourful characters to get to know and boring is not amongst their traits.

No comments:

Post a Comment