Monday 4 February 2013

Book Review: Belfast Girls by Gerry McCullough

I started this book with a fair degree of trepidation given some of the poor fare served up over the years especially regarding the troubles. Initially it seemed to be more of the same but I stuck with it.

Written in a niave style made the pages turn quickly and eventually the author moved on to a quite interesting story that brought one of the girls to Dublin. Interesting characters were introduced who you quickly related to somebody in public life but this just made it easier to picture the scenes.

This is one of those books where it is easy to criticise in relation to the troubles as being too simplistic with an unlikely storyline, especially Sheila. However as time goes on I believe it will provide future generations with a useful insight to this era and the often crude behaviour of real people.

I started off thinking negatively of this book but by the end I felt that I had been taken on a fast journey that left me wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment