Friday 22 February 2013

Syd and Marcy by Beaird Glover

Book review: Syd and Marcy by Beaird Glover

This is quite violent and dark in many places but if you like your humour at its blackest you may enjoy it. At the beginning of the book the crime all seemed so unrealistic and unlikely but thankfully I don’t live in the US. I know from reading the news that gun and other crime is common in the US and this is probably a realistic characterisation of the typical persons involved.

It is hard to comprehend how you can consider calling the US an advanced society when so many people carry weapons whilst not being in their right mind. This novel shows that nobody is safe and the future cannot possibly be good.

Any British reader considering this will surely have their views on outlawing guns confirmed. It was not my usual escape and whilst I cannot say that I thoroughly enjoyed the read it was quite gripping in places. At the end my thoughts were provoked and I suppose that is all you can ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment