Thursday 7 February 2013

Book review 'French Secrets' by Roisin McAuley

The opening chapters of this novel are tremendous. They rescue me from the Belfast winter rain and transported me into a warm hilly Californian climate where I could almost taste the wine. The characters were warm and everybody seemed happy.  I worried a bit when the story moved to Ireland but a bit more persistence and just when I thought California was going to be the peak we suddenly moved to the Bordeaux region of France. How wonderful. By now the plot was thickening nicely and it became clear to me that wherever else I was taken geographically I was going to have to finish this novel to discover the story of the ancient wines.

The Belfast Telegraph does the author a disservice with comparisons to Maeve Binchy. I find Roisin McAuley is not comparable to any female author of recent times. Thanks for writing this novel and for anyone out there in a cold wet miserable climate keep this book with you to warm your heart. Reading it is like a holiday.

5/5 is my rating

No comments:

Post a Comment